The Global Language Monitor has designated “Lady Gaga” as the top fashion buzzword for the forthcoming season.
The words were chosen from the global fashion media and nominated by key fashionistas from around the world. This exclusive ranking is based upon GLM’s Predictive Quantities Index, a proprietary algorithm that tracks words and phrases in print and electronic media, on the Internet and throughout the blogosphere, now including social media. The words and phrases are tracked in relation to their frequency, contextual usage and appearance in global media outlets.
Some of the top fashion buzzwords were:
- Lady Gaga: “Enigmatic performance artist has had outsized impact on the world of fashion.”
- Leggings 2.0: “Flourishing from Milano to Main Street, leggings are now differentiated
- Jeggings: (jeans + leggings) and meggings (male leggings), and the like.”
- No Pants: “Hot pants for the 21st Century; not much pant (see Lady GaGa
- Chandeliers: Earrings, that is.
- Boyfriend: (the jacket, jeans etc) “It’s getting to be like an Audrey Hepburn movie out there with boyfriend jackets, jeans and the like.”
- Peek-a-boo: “Peek-a-boo fashion is back once again; this time as cutouts.”
- Camos: “Camouflage is back, this time with an Urban Jungle vibe.”
- Chiconomics: Being frugal and spending within your means. But it doesn’t mean compromising on your taste or lifestyle – it just means not spending silly money to get the look and the style.
- Ferosh: A combination of ‘fierce’ and ‘ferociousness’ popularized by Project Runway’s Christian Siriano.
- Eco-Fashion: The term “eco-fashion” refers to stylized clothing that uses environmentally sensitive fabrics and responsible production techniques.
- Lemongrass: The color of Ms. Obama’s Inauguration gown.
- Michele Obama: Michelle says ‘Yes, we can!’ to bringing back a sense of fashion to the White House; further popularizes the single-shoulder look.